Saturday, June 21, 2008

Car shopping is a nightmare, but it can be fun too.

You know that old Rolling Stones song lyric that goes "you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need." Well in this case I was able to get both. The process kind of started back in March when I was at the K.C. Auto show. There is a picture on my blog of me inside a 2008 Apple Red Hyundai Elantra. I remember thinking to myself at that time....this looks like a nice car. Well, I did my research looking at Edmunds.com and Consumer Reports on everthing on cars from gas mileage, reliability and what I can afford. I came up with a top 5 list but narrow it down to three. My three choices was the Hyundai Elatra at number one, number two Nissan Altima and number three the Mitsubishi Galant. As the car shopping began June 12th we look at KCK dealership and a private seller. No luck on day one. Day two drove around to six dealerships. One of them in Blue Springs.....I thought I might have a shot at a 2002 Nissan Altima that drove like a dream. The dealer wanted over 10,000 for it .....so I left striking out again. Then earlier this week I saw an ad on craiglslist for a 2003 Toyota Camry for 2950 and had only 44k miles on it. However, I was a little suspicious about the seller since he was living in London, England.......I don't know if it was a scam, but I 'm probably glad that I didn't get the car .


Then on thurday I saw and ad on cars. com and it had one of my cars on my top three list. It was a blueish green and 2002. There was a 127 thousand miles on it and it was in really good condition from the inside and out. I got the car for 3,550 and I thought I got a pretty good deal for the price. No more paying for 80 dollars or more on gas. No more fixing on radiators, fuel pumps or anything else that needs working on. It feels good that I have vehicle that has a radio that works .....oh did I mention it has a CD player too.....Am I excited....well if this post doesn't tell ya....then nothing will.


I should give my truck a little bit of credit it lasted me for over six years. Sure, the finish was peeling off, but that gave it some character. It has gone on some great trips like to OKC to see Billy Graham preach one of his last sermons. It has also gone throughout the entire state of New Mexico. So goodbye old truck we had good memories, but the gas prices at the pump put the death nail in you. So, what I did I trade in for my truck?
A 2002 Hyundai Elantra....Yeeesssssss!!!!
Signed
Tim "thanking god for helping me find this car" Crippen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI! cool Car! :-) Congradulations!

spring

Anonymous said...

Veeery nice car, Tim. Hope to see it in person some time and maybe listen to that rockin' CD player.