Friday, April 06, 2007

An Interesting Time Magazine Cover

With Easter just around the corner, I happen to be walking to the supermarket checkout line and saw and interesting cover on Time Magazine. Why we should teach the Bible in Public Schools but in parentheses it says, "But very,very carefully". I wasn't going to spend 3.99 for the magazine so I looked for the article on the internet and suprisingly the piece was a pretty fair article. In the article it talks about how public high schools are offering elective courses on teaching the Bible. One particular teacher was talking about Beattiudes, why did Jesus did his sermon on a mount and the Golden rule but using different religions like Buddhism that also talk about the Golden Rule only in a remix style.
The National Council on Bible Curriculum for Public Schools found a way to create the Bible Literacy Project to be able to teach the Bilbe that is not only constitutional abiding , but also it was supported by Evangelicals, the Jewish committee, the Islamic Education and this one surprise me the most a liberal watchdog group the people for the American Way. The Bible is used in lot of history from Licolon's second inagural address to Martin Luther King's "I have dream speech" too even some literature like "The old man and the Sea" (A very excellent book, I might add).
But as always the people for separation of church and state have said what about the negative uses for the Bible. Negative uses? Please give me five negative uses for the Bible. Anyway, the way I look at it is that some of our students are so Bible illiterate it's not even funny, but I'm glad to see that some courses are being taught and that there is starting to be a change in the public school system.

Signed
Tim "I wish I had this course when I was in high School" Crippen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You mean the Bible Literacy Project. The National Council on Bible Curriculum in Public Schools is a Christian, proselytizing curriculum opposed by Jewish groups like the ADL.

Crippdog said...

It is the National Council that puts this one particular document called The Bible and Public Schools: A First Amendment Guide. which was supported by these other groups. But the course their teaching is your right the Bible Literacy Project